September 28, 2007

Glimmer of Hope

Today, we received a couple tidbits of uplifting news in light of the recent developments. First, the DOS updated their statement to include this:

At this time, over 3000 applications for adoption from Guatemala are in process with USCIS or the Guatemala government. The U.S. government is asking the Government of Guatemala to allow such cases, now pending, to proceed to completion without additional requirements.

Secondly, we have a contact down in Guatemala who I emailed regarding his thoughts on this. He is a very reputable attorney and has been so helpful to us. He has been working on Guatemalan adoptions for some time. He is not an attorney facilitating adoptions but rather assists families if they have concerns with their own attorney, or even just questions in general. He is from Guatemala but speaks perfect English. Here's what he said in his email tonight:

"Don’t worry about it. We talked to officials in Guatemala and also in the US about it.I think they went a little bit too far when they say current cases might be affected. According to the Guatemalan Constitution which rules all the legislation, a case that started under certain regulation has to finish by law under that legislation. The new laws (adoption law and Hague) can only be applied when they become effective to cases started after that happened. Anyway, we’ll keep you updated on anything new. Hope you get the preapproval soon!"

I was very encouraged by both of these statements. We hope more news will come forward as October begins.

Finally, tomorrow is my 1st baby shower! I am so excited. I have truly wonderful neighbors and they have gone to so much effort to organize an 'all neighborhood' shower. I really appreciate what they have done and I am looking so forward to enjoying it! Fall is in the air today. The sun is setting and the air has a welcoming crisp tinge. The leaves are quickly falling. I'm wishing you all a wonderful weekend! And-- I'm counting down the days til' I leave for Guatemala- 6 days and we'll be back at our second home- the Marriott in GC. :-)

4 comments:

Guatemama said...

Thanks for the encouraging info! Oh I am starting to panic less and less. ENJOY your shower tomorow!
No we don't have PA yet but I am really hoping to hear this weekend. Please Please :)
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Have fun at your shower! It will be a nice break after a stressful week. The info from your attorney friend sounds promising. I'm believing our kiddos will come home. Only 6 more days til your kissing your little guy! Hope they fly by!

Steph said...

Thanks for the update. This is very encouraging. I have faith that our babies will come home. Enjoy your special day tomorrow!

Gretchen said...

Emily thank you so much for posting the comments from the attorney. That is extremely encouraging and gives me hope again! Enjoy your shower!