July 11, 2007

What else can I say?



Maria, our wonderful foster mother. . .





Grandpa and Nate. . .












Yes, it's true, pictures can speak a thousand words. . . .

Ok, so I was slow. I know I have mentioned it but I think I am one of the "few" people who get Montezuma's revenge from traveling to Guatemala. I think I am on the mend but it's taking a while. Also, we had one other snag: my memory stick wouldn't work in Guatemala! I even had a back up. I know, can you believe the luck? Thankfully, we had disposables for an emergency.

Anyhow, on to more important things. . . the trip was wondeful. We stayed at the Marriott in GC and felt safe the entire time. We ate at 2 excellent local restaurants- Frita's and Hacienda Real-- both within a mile and safe to bring children to. We ventured a few blocks out to do some souvenier shopping on Saturday and really enjoyed that. We ate lunch at a lovely Crepe restaurant. The people of Guatemala are so friendly! Not that I expected them to be otherwise. . .but I have traveled internationally before and not experienced as warm of a reception as I did in Guatemala. Always so accomodating and helpful. Nathaniel bonded so quickly and was really easy to love. It was a defining moment when I first got to hold him. . . words can't describe really. I love his FM. She is just a very happy person who seems to live to take care of the babies (she has 2 and that is her full time job). Nathaniel did get sick there the last day. Maria doesn't take him outside at all, so perhaps taking him out added to that. However, the weather was always 75 degrees and we always had him pretty well bundled. It could have been a number of things. The good news is that I spoke with Maria last night and he went to the doctor on Monday and he has a virus. He was prescribed acetominaphen and some drops for his stuffy nose. She said he was feeling better already and that comforted me a great deal. I want to thank my dad (hopefully you read this!) for joining me. My dad is a natural at taking care of babies and always seems to bring out the best in them. I am truly so appreciative of your never-ending support.

Where do we go from here? Patiently waiting for DNA. Friday will be 3 weeks that our attorney has had the pw he needs to initiate this and they say it can take up to 8 weeks. I know- it's too long-- but that's the process and I am getting better at accepting it. I think the fact that I will be visiting him so frequently makes it less difficult. I will do my best to keep you all posted on our progress. We expect realistically to have DNA results by 9/1. In the meantime, we got lots of things in GC to put in his life book and I think that I will make a project of that. Oh, I almost forgot, I ordered his room set! I promise to post what we chose soon. Thanks for checking in. Hoping for progress in the near future.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how quickly we can fall in love with something...or someone...so small?!

Emily said...

Oh Sandy- you always have the best comments! And SO true, too! It is amazing!

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures! You all look so happy. Get well soon!

Nicole said...

Emily,
He is so cute! And you have the most beautiful smile in the picture with him outside! That is wonderful that you are able to travel down so frequently!
Congratulations again!

Erica said...

What a cutie! It looks & sounds like you had a great time! We can't wait for our upcoming visit.

Steph said...

He is so precious! What a blessing!

Anonymous said...

They are all beautiful, however I was very fond of Dream, Hug and Love. I am sure they all will fit Nathaniel beautifully!!!
Love. Meme

redhawks said...

He's so precious Emily!!! Love the pics.
Jen (FTIA) :)

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your site from other Guatemalan parents-to-be blogs. Thank you for sharing your journey. I was excited to see that you live in PA - we live in Royersford and are experiencing what you guys went thru back in May with the 'waiting for I-171H'! Hopefully ours will be here soon. I would love to chat with you and maybe share this journey together as we are so close in proximity. If you would like to, please email me at tcreciun@hotmail.com.
With very best wishes. Trish

Gretchen said...

Emily thank you for sharing your pictures from your visit! Nathaniel is so handsome! I love the picture of you looking at him...your face is just beaming with love!