June 10, 2007

The Wait Continues. . .

Hi Everyone-

Well, we didn't get our "paper" this week. I have begun to refer to this precious thing as our "paper" because I don't like the term I-171h- it sounds so technical! Anyway, I did stalk the mailbox again on Saturday and it wasn't there. I was disappointed (big surprise!) but I think I am adjusting better to the wait. Like many other adoptive families, I have started engaging in different activities to make the wait manageable and also be productive while I wait. I am running again! Wow- what a shock to the system it is to start endurance running when you haven't in years. This was my first week- and I must admit-I am a little sore. :-) I hope to continue running maybe 2-3 nights per week about 2 miles each time. I also walk at least once per week with my neighbor Cathy. In addition, I have been putting together photo albums and that's always such a fun thing to do.

Now, getting back to the "paper" (aka- I-171h). Your guess is as good as mine at this point. On my adoption agencies email group, there are some people getting it in 2 weeks and others that wait upwards of 10 weeks! But, it all depends on what state you live in and in some instances, where in the state you live. Every office has only one petition officer-- regardless of the size. As you can imagine, Philadelphia is a pretty big office and covers all of the Philly area and Delaware, too. Needless to say, the fact that the petition officer was on vacation for the whole month of May doesn't really help my cause either. Here's my best guess at this point:

As of 6/11/07- we have been waiting 31 days for the paper/ approval. I was told by her that we would receive it within *6 weeks* and found that most people in the Philly office receive it within 30 days. They seem to always overestimate the time- similar to waiting times at a restaurant. I guess it goes with the old saying- "Underpromise and Overdeliver" and your customers will see you better for it in the end. So, I am guessing- positively of course- that we will have it by 6/16/06- which will be 5 weeks! Obviously there is no science to this craziness, but from talking with others, it is definetely reasonable that I would receive it this week. Yay!

The not so good part is that I am leaving for business mid week so I won't be here to check the box during the day (so fun!). Rich will be here though and he has detailed instructions (in case he forgets! lol) to fax/email it to FTIA so we can get on that list immediately! On a positive note, I will be heading from a business trip on Friday to my dad's in VT for the weekend. I love VT! I will meet up with my sister and her boyfriend there, too. We'll probably do some shopping and take my dad out to dinner for Father's day. Hope this is all done knowing we are on the list! We'll see. . . and I promise to post while out of town as soon as we receive. Keeping my fingers crossed for good news this week!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your best guesstimate sounds great and soon too!!! enjoy today, remember to dream and hold on tight to tomorrows' promise----Many loves, Grandma

Nicole said...

Hope you get it soon! I was stalking my mailbox too while waiting!

Nicole
http://nikicoli.blogspot.com

redhawks said...

I hope it comes this week!! I think your guess is a good one. When I was waiting for ours (NJ) I always checked the Rumor Queen website (which is for China) but people would post according to which USCIS office they used...so it gave you a good idea how long they were taking. I just checked the Philly list and it seems to be running 4-6 weeks from homestudy submission. So hopefully it will be any day now!! Jen:)

Anonymous said...

Is there any official government site one can find out the status of one's I-171H form?

I know the passport tracking number is worthless as far as that is concerned, just wondered if the folks doing the I-171H were any better?

Emily said...

Dear Anonymous,

I wish I had better news to share with you. . . sadly, there is no site to check on status. Now, this may vary from state to state but I have been told that the tracking #'s don't work at all anymore. Totally and utterly ridiculous in my opinion. This is the US after all and we can't even track our petitions? Makes no sense. Anyway, here's what I can suggest to you: There is a customer service # you can call. You will never get anyone- only a recording, but it does give you the option to enter in your I-600A correspondence or tracking #. Again, mine did not work and I have been told most of them don't; however, it may be worth the try. Secondly, call your USCIS office directly. I was fortunate enough to speak directly with the petition officer and kindly asked her for a "status check" and told her that my tracking # wasn't working. From that, she was also able to tell me that I would have my petition within 6 weeks of filing date. Some home study agencies will recommend that you don't call the CIS directly- so you may want to have your home study agency call for you. Bottom line though is that you may have no luck. Also, check out the rumor queen on the China Forum and you can check processing times by state. May I ask what state you are in? I have becomes somewhat well-versed in the some of the states simply by researching online-- at the wee hours of the morning! Best of luck and hope that form comes ASAP! :-)