June 26, 2007

A great call!

I had an unbelievably good call with Nathaniel's foster mom, Maria, this evening. I got home from work and found that my coordinator had emailed me her number. I slowly dialed the numbers to make the call. . . and she answered! It was tremendously difficult to understand her but she was so gracious and patient with me. I was also using an online translator and she gave me all the time in the world to formulate my questions. It may sound strange-- but I got a very good feeling from her voice and her overall sense of conversing. When I asked her to describe Nathaniel (always was good with those Spanish adjectives- now, if I could only remember how to conjugate all those verbs! :-)). she kept saying "muy bonito". When I told her I was the adoptove mother of Juan, she said "SI, SI, SI" "Muy Bien"! She said she has had him since the 10th of May. She also said he is over 8lbs and eats a lot. I knew he was going to be a future linebacker for the Eagles or the Patriots! :-)

There were times during the conversation where I knew she was offering priceless information but I simply couldn't understand her. I ended the conversation by telling her I was coming down next week and would meet her and how very grateful I was for her to give my son such great care. I also asked what she needed and she said clothes for Nathaniel and for herself as well. I told her I would bring clothes down. It was such a wonderful conversation and she was so patient with my online translation. I think she would have stayed on the phone with me for hours because she sensed how important the information was to me.

So, after I hung up, I decided I needed to find a translator. I found a professional who will be doing a conference call with me on Thursday evening. This way, I will be able to ask all the important questions, get all the answers, and make sure she gets all her questions answered. This process continues to amaze me; in all its complexity the simplest little phone call can make you so grateful. And to top it off, I think I heard my son "cooing" in the background. Our little guy is 7 weeks old tonight- can't wait to meet him in 8 days! Hasta Luego.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "cooing" was Nathaniel saying hello to his mom. Great story. :)

Anonymous said...

How awesome! Hope you have a great trip to see Nathaniel!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's awesome! Hope tonights convo goes well....keep us posted.

Steph said...

How exciting! Can't wait to hear the update!
Stephanie (FTIA)