December 28, 2007

An Update...

Well, it really wasn't a surprise but we did not get our birth certifcate this week. The request for Nathan's birth certificate was submitted on 12/3. Monday will be 4 weeks. It is supposedly taking at least 6 weeks because the mayor is anti-adoption and doesn't believe in American's adopting children from Guatemala (yes, this is otherwise referred to as corruption). We received word today that our attorney has been going weekly to check on the status and has another meeting with the mayor next Wednesday after the holiday. I know we will get our birth certificate but it is not likely for another 2-3 weeks. I am in communication with my agency and have plans to go to the civil registry myself the second week of January with my attorney if we do not have a birth certificate.

I was frustrated today over the fact that people keep asking me, "Now, could something go wrong and prevent your child from coming home". I know people mean well and most people are not involved in the complexities of international adoption, but I do get frustrated with these questions. Of course, Nathan will come home but it will happen in the right time and we have no control over that. I am thankful for all my friends and family who are always so supportive, but sometimes I am just so perplexed at the questions I am asked. Ok, vent over!

MORE IMPORTANTLY- my life as a childless woman has been flashing before my eyes....when I drove home tonight, I realized it was the last time I would drive home without Nathan in the backseat....I realized that tomorrow would be my last time eating dinner in my house without a baby...I CAN'T believe the time has come. Bright and early Sunday morning I am flying to Guatemala and will arrive there @ Noon. I will have Nathan mid-afternoon and we'll be settling into a life in Antigua until the time comes for us to come home. I am really excited to have all this bonding time with him and to explore Antigua. I am in contact with other women who are fostering and we have plans to meet weekly for lunch and more! It should be a true adventure and an experience I will never forget.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Emily, I am so excited for you!! Your day has arrived!

I can't wait to hear all about your stay in Antigua. What a wonderful experience you and Nathan will have!

Bobbi said...

Travel safe!!

Hope you get your BC soon!!!

Beth said...

Oh, Emily, I am so thrilled for you that you will be experiencing these next steps in Guat. w/ Nate. It is going to be amazing. I remember reveling in the "last" moments before Sam arrived.... surreal. But, all the better when your baby is home! Can't wait to celebrate your reunion w/ Nate!!! Wishing your time in Antigua is brief only b/c we are wishing you both home soon.

Steph said...

Yay!! He will be in your arms forever very soon! I am sorry we will be so close and not meet one another!!

Anonymous said...

Emily, Enjoy hanging in Antigua with Nate! What an awesome experience. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Frances said...

Emily,

Hope you have a safe trip! Looking forward to following your journey in Antigua! Congratulations on getting to this step in the process!

Frances & Rosalie

Gretchen said...

Emily,

I understand your frustation with people asking if he may not come home. I get the same question frequently! Know that I am praying for you and Nate and that you will get his birth certificate quickly. I know how incredibly difficult this wait can be. Enjoy your special time with Nate alone! I can't wait to see pictures of you guys together forever!!