June 3, 2007

Welcome to our Adoption Journey!

Gosh- I can't tell you how happy I am to be building this site. I have put it off for a while- you know, the usual procrastination. But this weekend my usual OCD got the best of me and I refused to do anything else until I at least put the basics together. I am glad I did because it's important that I journal about this process and also have the opportunity to share our story with friends and family. We decided to journey down the adoption path in January of 2007. I have always known, for some reason or another, that someday I would adopt a child. When we first made the decision, we began to research and spent a month looking into every aspect of international adoption. We immediately decided on China. We liked the quality and stability of their program and had emailed and talked with AP's who had had such wondeful experiences. Well, that all changed so quickly! While we still believed in the China program, we learned some things about the program that would delay our adoption including a 16-18 month wait for a referral! We knew that adoption is and will be a long and complex process but we thought that was a little too long. So, after further research we chose Guatemala! :-) There are many things that are appealing to us about the program such as the health of the children, the young age at which they are referred, and the fact that they are placed in loving foster homes from a very young age until they make the journey to their home here in the United States. How long does this take, you ask?! Well, it generally takes a year (for a boy which is our request!!). We started the process on February 22nd, 2007 and anticipate having our son home by February 22nd, 2008. We can't wait!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!
Congrats!
You are going to make excellent parents!
I can assure you that little Naynay will have a fabulous Auntie:)
Love,
Auntie-to-be Molly